We're going to an early election: Here's the plan
It’s on. Everything is pointing to a tight election in July. And with analysis showing 20 of the 21 most marginal seats have more women in them than men -- Fair Agenda’s involvement in this election campaign couldn’t be more important.
- We’ll keep domestic violence on the national agenda and mobilise to secure increased funding for the vital services women rely on to escape abuse.
- We’ll create an easy to use guide to help you understand (and share) where candidates stand on key issues that matter to you, and
- We’ll make parental leave an issue in key Senate races.
Click here to view the plan in more detail
1. We’ll keep domestic violence on the national agenda and secure increased funding commitments for family violence services.
Together we’ve proven that we can draw national media attention to the thousands of women being left without the service support they need to live free from danger, and created the consistent pressure needed to win millions in funding for a vital family violence service after the last budget. Now we need to step up that campaign.
With your support we can:
Work with survivors and experts to keep family violence funding on the media agenda ahead of the budget and election, delivering creative media tactics that keep this issue in the headlines and amplify the urgent call for action.
Support Fair Agenda’s tens of thousands of members to make the funding of family violence services an inescapable issue for key spokespeople in the major parties, and
Build pressure in a key marginal seat to ensure the candidates there can’t escape questions about what their party will do to ensure thousands of women trying to escape family violence aren’t left without the service support they need to live in safety.
2. We’ll create an easy to use guide to help you understand (and share) where candidates stand on key issues that matter to you
With speculation that this election could result in a minority government, and that minor parties could again hold the balance of power in the next Senate, making clear where candidates stand on your issues is vital.
That’s why Fair Agenda will make sure candidates are surveyed on the issues that matter to you; and create an easy-to-use guide to help people cast a vote in line with their values. Then we’ll work with Fair Agenda members to share the scorecard far and wide, and to get it in front of key voters in tight races.
3. We’ll make parental leave an issue in Senate races.
In order to pass their proposed cuts to new parents’ paid time at home, the government first have to get their cuts approved by the Senate. Together we’ve already stopped the cuts in the Senate -- twice. And now the Turnbull government have confirmed that if they’re re-elected, we’ll have to do it again.
That’s why Fair Agenda have a plan to pressure key Senate candidates in tight races to commit to protect paid parental leave if elected; and to make sure voters know which Senators support cutting new parents’ paid time at home, through a nifty online scorecard.
Can you chip in $50 a month between now and the election to help make that possible?